Yard Worker/Material Handler - Nights
Cherubini Metal Works, a member of the Cherubini Group of Companies, is looking for two Yard Labourers join our team in Dartmouth, NS!
We have an outstanding Safety Culture that focuses on the health and wellbeing of our workforce. The desire to be an active participant in our Safety Program is a vital aspect of employment within the Cherubini Group of Companies. We also offer competitive compensation and benefits.
This role is responsible for a variety of duties, including loading, unloading and moving materials to the designated locations in the Shop and Yard. The ideal candidate will be experienced with a forklift and a pallet jack. Willingness to work nights is required. Our day shift is Monday to Friday 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and our night shift is Monday to Thursday from 4:30 p.m. - 4:00 a.m.. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Planning and Organizing
- Problem Solving
- Results Oriented
- Active participation in safety work culture
- Clean and prepare work area to eliminate possible hazards.
- Load, unload, and move material as needed
- Operating overhead cranes with or without load attached
- Utilize pumps, compressors, and generators to provide power for tools, machinery, and equipment.
- Lubricate, clean, maintain and repair machinery, equipment, and tools.
- Erect and disassemble scaffolding, shoring, braces, ramps, and other temporary structures.
- Load, unload, and identify building materials, machinery, and tools, and distribute them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- Prepare items for shipping, including: stacking, wrapping, and crating products.
- Participate in clean-up and maintenance.
- Perform other handling duties such as: counting, weighing, and sorting.
- Previous crane signal, rigging, and forklift experience considered an asset
- Previous knowledge of steel shapes and profiles considered an asset
- Previous experience as a labourer, specifically in the steel industry, considered an asset
- Knowledge of workplace safety and safe lifting and handling procedures
- Knowledge of First Aid and CPR preferred
- Experience in grinding and working mechanical knowledge of machines and tools.
- Ability to readily determine the correct tools and equipment needed to do a job.
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform physical labour.
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Time management skills
- Proactive in ensuring job knowledge is current.
- Respect diversity - treat others with respect.
- Avoid conflicts.
- Employee may be required to work in potentially hazardous environments requiring protective equipment.
- Employee may be exposed to dust and high levels of noise.
- Repetitive tasks within a fast-paced environment.
- Overtime as required.