Truck Transport Technician
Burnside Truck Center, a member of the Cherubini Group of Companies, is looking for a Truck Transport Technician to join our team in Dartmouth, NS!
Reports To: Shop Foreman
BTC Truck Transport Technicians are responsible for the accurate inspection, diagnosis, repair, and maintenance on a variety of heavy commercial and industrial vehicles, and various pieces of equipment. Work is performed in the shop (with the exception of service calls) under the supervision of the Shop Foreman. The Shop Foreman outlines procedures, but generally most work is performed independently to provide space to determine specific repair methods and diagnosis of defects.
- Quality Orientation
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Operating Equipment
- Providing Consultation
- Ethics and Integrity
- Planning and Organizing
- Coaching and Mentoring
- Diagnosing and Repairing – Diagnosing and repairing vehicles is the main basis of the Truck and Transport trade. At Burnside Truck Centre, we repair various types of equipment; therefore, our technicians are required to have a broad understanding of different makes and models. Our technicians work in a fast-paced environment, where we require accuracy in diagnostics and repairs.
- Safety – Safety awareness is a huge part of our business. Our JOHS committee is constantly looking for ways to grow our safety culture. Our technicians are made aware of our safety guidelines and procedures and are managed to make sure they are constantly following them in all the jobs that they perform in the shop and while on off-site service calls.
- Work Order Management – Upon completion of work orders, the technicians are responsible for the review of the parts and labor components. Each technician is responsible for their own daily labor punch times and making sure these are accurate will help the work orders to be accurate. Once a job is complete, it is also the technician’s duty to review the parts charged to the work order with the parts department to assure accuracy. Making sure work orders are accurate and passed in in a timely manner is crucial to maintaining the daily work flow.
- Inspect and diagnose issues on various makes and models of trucks and trailers and other pieces of equipment.
- Perform repairs on various makes and models or trucks and trailer and other pieces of equipment
- Prepare accurate work estimates of labour and part costs
- Manage labour times, job details, and parts and labour on work orders
- Perform motor vehicle inspections, record information properly and accurately
- Relaying accurate information to customers in a professional manner
- Perform off-site service calls
- Proper use of shop equipment (forklift, overhead crane, tools)
- Follow the shop’s safety guidelines when lifting heavy objects (heavy lifting can range in weight from 50 – 100 lbs) Equipment is provided to help with heavy lifting (drum dollies, overhead crane, etc.) as well as the assistance of various technicians.
- Standing for extended periods of time, bending as required
- On call duties and weekend shifts (all on a rotation)
- Shop cleaning and maintenance
- Perform other related duties as required
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience as heavy-duty mechanic for Trucks and Trailers
- Possess a valid drivers’ license
- Knowledge of the overall theories and operating principles of spark ignition and diesel engines, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and heavy-duty power trains.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work of the trade
- Ability to use shop scan tools and use information found to repair vehicles
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions and to interpret technical manuals and specifications
- Skilled in the use of a variety of hand and power tools and equipment relating to the trade
- 24/7 availability may be required
- Physical ability to lift up to 50lb
- Travel to off-site locations may be required
- Safety equipment will be required, e.g. steel-toed safety boots, safety glasses/goggles, etc.
- Overtime as required
- Hazards associated with the trade